The Spam Spam Spam Humbug crew review the Ultima fan projects that were active in 2015.
Ultima VI Gates of Creation by OC ReMix
Welcome back to another year of Spam Spam Spam Humbug. This year, to ring in 2016, episodes for the month of January will mostly be focused on re-capping the news pertaining to Ultima, including Ultima Online (which, at least for now, is the only game still in active development that is carrying on the Ultima namesake), various Ultima fan projects, and also different games that have been inspired by Ultima (including Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant, as well as — possibly — Shards Online and Crowfall).
This week, we will continue looking at what has transpired with various Ultima fan projects over the course of 2015. You can kind of think of this as a supplement to the poll that's currently under way at the Ultima Codex, in which you can vote for your favourite fan project of 2015.
- Ultima Return: Alive, Mostly Back, With New Music - Team Return have relaunched the Ultima Return website, and have released some new soundtrack pieces to celebrate.
Serpent Isle in Minecraft
- Serpent Isle in Minecraft - AvatarAcid’s re-creation of parts of the Serpent Isle (from Ultima 7 Part 2) in Minecraft.
Ultima IX: Redemption
- Ultima IX Redemption: (Brief) Update - Corv has posted a brief note about Ultima IX: Redemption on the Titans of Ether website.
- Ultima IX Redemption: Britannia Heightmap and Web Update - Corv has released the heightmap used to create Britannia as it appears in Ultima IX: Redemption.
- Ultima IX Redemption: New Video Incoming; Corv Talks Fallout 4 - The Titans of Ether will soon be releasing a video showcasing Ultima IX Redemption gameplay.
- Ultima IX Redemption: 18-Minute Landscapes Video - The Titans of Ether have released an 18-minute video showcasing the landscapes of Britannia, as created for Ultima IX: Redemption.
- Ultima IX Redemption: World Map Marked Up With Areas From the Landscapes Video - Find out which locations in Britannia were shown off in the Ultima IX: Redemption landscapes video.
- Ultima IX Redemption: Crafting System Video Released - The Titans of Ether have released a video demonstrating the crafting systems in Ultima IX: Redemption.
- Ultima IX Redemption: New Magincia in Unity 5 - Corv has built New Magincia, according to its layout in Ultima IX: Redemption, in Unity 5. The result is simply stunning.
- Stygian Abyss: Slashing Dragon’s 7DRL 2015 Game - Stygian Abyss, the 7DRL challenge game created by Slashing Dragon and Exodus Destiny, has been released and can be played online now.
- Stygian Abyss: Post-7DRL Fixes - Slashing Dragon and Exodus Destiny have made a few updates — and bug fixes — to Stygian Abyss.
- Stygian Abyss: Version 1.2 Released; Character Creation, New Weapons, New Intro and Ending - Slashing Dragon has released two updates for Stygian Abyss in recent days, adding much in the way of new content and features to the game.
- Stygian Abyss: Version 1.3 Released - Slashing Dragon has released version 1.3 of Stygian Abyss.
Ultima 4 Remastered
- New Fan Project: Ultima 4 Remastered (For Commodore 64) - A reworked version of Ultima 4 for the Commodore 64 that fixes numerous bugs, enhances the graphics, and overhauls the artwork for cutscenes and the character creation sequence.
- Ultima 4 Remastered: Version 2.1 Released - MagerValp has released an updated version of Ultima 4 Remastered, which corrects several bugs identified by players in recent weeks.
- Ultima 4 Remastered: Source Code Available - MagerValp has published the source code for Ultima 4 Remastered on GitHub.
- Ultima 4 Remastered: Version 2.2 Released - MagerValp has released version 2.2 of Ultima 4 Remastered, which addresses a few more bugs reported by users.
- UDICraft: An Ultima Dragons Minecraft Server - An Ultima-themed Minecraft server, by and for members of the Ultima Dragons.
- UDICraft: Small Update - Darkling Dragon has updated the mod pack needed to play UDICraft.
- UDICraft: Mod Update (Decocraft 2 and Ancient Warfare) - Darkling Dragon has updated the collection of mods used by UDICraft.
- UDICraft: Server Update - The UDICraft server has been updated; there’s a new mod package available.
- UDICraft: Small Update - Darkling Dragon has released a small update to the mods package for UDICraft.
- UDICraft: Yet Another Update; Guide API Added - Darkling Dragon has released an updated set of mods for UDICraft.
- UDICraft: Long-Overdue Update - An update for UDICraft has been released.
The Ultima 6 German Translation/The Ultima 6 Nitpicker's Delight Patch
- The Ultima 6 German Translation: Sir John Reappears - Sir John has returned from an extended break, and will evidently be resuming work on his German translation of Ultima 6.
- The Ultima 6 German Translation: All Translations Complete; Beta Version 1.0 Patch Released - I’ve been sitting on way too much news from Sir John as regards his ongoing work on his German translation of Ultima 6. He resumed work on it earlier this summer, after his work...
- The Ultima 6 Nitpicker’s Delight Patch: Tara’s Timeline; 14 Nitpicks Addressed - Sir John has also made some progress on his Nitpicker’s Delight patch for Ultima 6.
- New Download: The Ultima 6 Nitpicker’s Delight Patch - A series of modified book, map, and conversation files for Ultima 6 that address some of the well-known nitpicks about the game.
- The Ultima 6 Nitpicker’s Delight Patch: Solving Quenton’s Murder - Sir John is working on a way for Quenton’s murder to be solved in Ultima 6, as part of his Nitpicker’s Delight patch.
- The Ultima 6 German Translation: Version 1.0 Beta 3 Released - Sir John has released the third, and final, beta version of his German translation patch for Ultima 6.
The Ultima 7 German Translation
- The Ultima 7 German Translation - Sir John has begun translating Ultima 7 into German as well. Because why not?
- The Ultima 7 German Translation: Forge of Virtue Manual Translated! - Sir John has translated the manual for Forge of Virtue, the Ultima 7 add-on, into German.
- The Ultima 7 German Translation: Serpent Isle Manual Almost Completely Translated - Sir John has been working on a German translation of the Serpent Isle manual.
- The Ultima 7 German Translation: Manual Translations Released; First Screenshot - Sir John has translated the manual for Ultima 7 into German, and has released both it and the manual for Forge of Virtue as one download.
- The Ultima 7 German Translation: Progress So Far; Closed Beta Begins Soon - Sir John has been making good progress translating Ultima 7 to German, and needs beta testers for his work on The Black Gate.
- The Serpent Isle German Translation: Manual Translations Released - Sir John has translated the manuals for Serpent Isle and The SIlver Seed into German, and has released both as one download.
- The Ultima 7 German Translation: Beta 2 Now Available - Sir John has released a new (closed) beta version of his German language patch for Ultima 7: The Black Gate.
The Savage Empire SNES Translation
- The Savage Empire SNES Translation Project: Still Alive? - A tantalizing image tweeted by Slashing Dragon gives hope that the effort to translate the SNES port of Savage Empire into English may still be ongoing.
- The Savage Empire SNES Translation: Progress on the Script Editor - Slashing Dragon, with some help, has enhanced the script extraction utility he is using as part of his project to translate the SNES port of Savage Empire into English.
- The Savage Empire SNES Translation: T-Rex Island; More Script Extractor Advancements - Slashing Dragon and his team continue to extract and translate game data from the SNES port of Savage Empire.
- The Savage Empire SNES Translation: Tools Now Open Source - Slashing Dragon has open sourced the tools for the ongoing effort to translate the SNES port of Savage Empire into English.
Classic Ultima Online (U4 Multiplayer)
- Classic Ultima Online (Formerly Ultima 4 Multiplayer): Game Client Released; New Game Server Live - Shattered Moon has released a new game client for Classic Ultima Online (once known as Ultima 4 Multiplayer). A new server for the game has also gone live.
- Classic Ultima Online (Ultima 4 Multiplayer): Client Update - Shattered Moon has issued an updated version of the Classic Ultima Online (Ultima 4 Multiplayer) client.
- Classic Ultima Online (Ultima 4 Multiplayer): New Client/Launcher Released - Shattered Moon has released an updated installer for Classic Ultima Online.
The Ultima 9 German Translation
- The Ultima 9 German Translation: First Patch Released - A patch for English versions of Ultima 9, to translate the game into German.
- The Ultima 9 German Translation: Text, Speech, and Cutscene Translation Patches Released - Sir John has released a German translation patch for the English version of Ultima 9.
Knights of Minecraft
- If You Like Old-School Ultima Online and Minecraft, Check Out Knights of Minecraft - A hardcore, open-world exploration-focused dedicated server for Mincraft, heavily inspired by Ultima Online.
The Ultima 8 Spanish Translation
- And Now There’s a Spanish Translation of Ultima 8 - A near-complete translation of Ultima 8 into Spanish, complete with the tools used.
Ultima 6 Online
- Ultima 6 Online: Patcher Utility Prototype Released - A new Patcher for Ultima 6 Online, which should automate the update process for the game, has been released.
Tales from Sosaria
- Check Out Damien Barban’s “Tales from Sosaria” Comics - Damien Barban has been working on adapting the story of Ultima 1 as a three-part graphic novel.
Ultima MC Factions
- Ultima MC Factions: A Minecraft Server For Ultima Online Veterans - An Ultima Online-inspired Minecraft server, with factions and PVP.
- Ultima MC Factions: New Website; New Screenshots; Minoc Valley Battleground Added - There’s a new Ultima MC Factions website, and a couple new screenshots too.
Always remember: If you like Spam Spam Spam Humbug, please leave us a review on iTunes, Stitcher, Podbean, or anywhere else you listen to us. More important than that, however, is to make sure you subscribe to the podcast. This is especially true for iTunes; the more subscriptions a podcast has, the more visible it will be in iTunes. So, even if you subscribe to us using some other, better technology (Pocket Casts, for example), consider subscribing in iTunes (or in the Podcasts app) as well.
There's also the Ultima Codex Patreon. A $1 pledge will get you access to Spam Spam Spam Humbug episodes the day before they go live here on the Ultima Codex, and you'll be helping me both maintain and — with sufficient funding — expand the server infrastructure of the Codex to better deliver all the things you come looking for thereat. You can also support the site by buying computer games through GOG; the Codex is a GOG affiliate. This one is really easy; all you have to do is visit the Codex and click on the GOG banner in the sidebar before you go and buy a game at GOG. You won't pay any more for the game, but we'll get a bit of a commission on the sale.
Also, if you haven't already, you should totally sign on with the Ultima Dragons group on Facebook, or with the Ultima Dragons community on Google+ . The Facebook group is easily the larger and more lively, but that just means that the Google+ one needs a few more members posting content there on a more regular basis. Also, don't forget to contribute to the #udic hashtag if you're on Twitter.
As well, please consider Liking the Facebook page for The Ultima Series, following the Ultima Codex on Twitter, or encircling the Ultima Codex on Google+. And whatever social network you favour, please also consider sharing any content posted to those social media profiles with your own followers and friends; spread the word, spread the Ultima.
Finally, if you'd like to recommend anyone for a shout-out, send us an email...which you can also use to suggest podcast topics, offer commentary or criticism about podcast episodes, and/or to volunteer your time as either an occasional or regular contributor to podcast sessions.
Where to Find Us Online
Ultima VI Gates of Creation by OC ReMix